Pad Kee Mao
Pad Kee Mao is a kind of stir-fry, it’s not necessary have to be noodle dishes. You can use this sauce recipe with many other dishes such as fried rice and stir-fry seafood.
What are the key ingredients of this dish?
The Key ingredients are Thai holy basil, chilies, garlic and young peppercorn. If you can’t find Thai holy basil, you can substitute with other kinds of basils that’s available in your area such as Italian basil. If you can find holy basil powder, you can also add those on top of the basil you have.
For young peppercorn, it can be difficult to find. Although I have seen them in many places in both South and North of Europe countries like The Netherlands and France.
If you can’t find fresh baby green peppercorn, you can add a few of dried white peppercorn. Not too much because they are quite strong.
Alright! let’s get cooking shall we?
Guay Teaw Pad Kee Mao – Thai Stir-fry Drunken Noodles
Kee Mao Dish
- 2 Tbsp Garlic (2-3 large cloves)
- 4 Tbsp Bird-eyes Chilies (4 pieces) You can substitute with other kinds of spicy chilies.
- 4 Pieces of Jinda Chilies (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Cooking oil
- 4 Prawns (around 150 g) – Peeled and vain removed You can add more if you like.
- 1 Squid (around 100g) – cut into rings. 1.5 cm thick You can add more if you like.
- 3 Pieces Baby peppercorn, chopped into 2 inches long
- 1 C Thai holy basil leaves
- 120 g Flat wide and clear noodles soaked into water until soften. This kind of noodles will curl up like a straw (see the video) When it's soaked in water. It might be difficult to get this type of noodles overseas but you can use other kinds of rice noodles. It will still taste very good.
- 1 Tsp Brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp Fish sauce
For the sauce
- Mix everything together and set aside.
For the dish
- 1) Pick basil leaves, and soak them in a bowl of water.2) Chop baby pepper corn to 2 inches long, pick some of the little balls out, they will add nice spicy crunch to the dish3) Clean and slice Jinda chilies diagonally, 1.5 inches long.4) Peel the garlic
- After we have done with chopping the vegetableWe are going to prepare garlic and chilies paste by grinding bird-Eyes chilies and garlic together to a rough paste.
- Add oil to a hot wok and stir-fry garlic chilies paste until fragrance (around 15-20 seconds). Add prawn and cook half way, then follow by squid then add a little bit of Chinese cooking wine.When the seafood is cooked, add noodle and the sauce.
- Stir until combine, Turn off the heat and add peppercorn, sliced Jinda chilies and Thai holy basil. Fold throughuntil the vegetable is well covered.
- Pad Kee Mao should be hot, spicy and full of flavour. However, if you prefer less spicy, you can reduce the number of chilies.